content is developed by The SmartFactory (http://www.smartfactory.ca), a division of INBOX Solutions (http://inboxinternational.com)

 

USING NON-STICK COOKWARE SAFELY


Non-stick cookware provides an easy and convenient way to enhance your cooking experience. Cookware coated with non-stick is safe at cooking temperatures up to 260°C/500°F, which is well above the temperature that foods are normally prepared. For example, meat is usually cooked at 204°C/400°F, poultry is generally roasted at 180 to 190°C/360 to 375°F and cookies and cakes are usually baked at around 190°C/375°F. On the stovetop, water boils at 100°C/212°F, scrambled eggs are cooked at 121°C/250°F while butter and cooking oil will begin to scorch and smoke at about 204°C/400°F.

Temperatures of 500ºF to 550ºF are typically used for grilling or broiling. Non-stick cookware should never be exposed to the direct heat of a grill or broiler under any circumstance.

It is best if a coated pan is used on low or medium heat. Continuous high heat may cause sticking and discolouration. Higher temperatures (above 500ºF) can be reached while cooking, but the food will likely burn and smoke to unacceptable levels. Even higher temperatures (above 600ºF) can be reached within minutes, if dry or empty cookware is left on a hot burner or in a hot oven. As is the case with most cookware products, non-stick cookware should not be left unattended or allowed to get very hot without food in the pan.

Please note that overheating pans will void your cookware warranty.
 

 

 

QUESTIONS & ANSWERS – USING NON STICK COOKWARE

 

“What Happens if Non-stick Coated Cookware is Overheated?”
If heated to an extremely high temperature, some non-stick coatings may begin to decompose and give off fumes. Fats, butter, or cooking oil will begin to scorch and smoke at about 204°C (400°F). DuPont non-stick coatings will not begin to significantly decompose until temperatures exceed about 316°C (600°F) – more than 200ºF above the smoke point for cooking oil, fats or butter. It is therefore unlikely that decomposition temperatures for non-stick cookware would be reached while cooking without burning food to an inedible state.
 

“Can I get Sick from Eating Particles of Non-stick Coatings?”
DuPont non-stick coatings on cookware are formulated and quality tested to resist peeling or chipping which will occur if cookware is misused. However, in the event that particles from DuPont non-stick coatings are accidentally eaten, there is no danger. These particles are harmless. They are non-toxic and inert. If eaten, they pass directly through the body and are not absorbed. The FDA has stated that eating particles of non-stick coating poses no health threat.
 

“Is Cookware made with DuPont Non-stick Coatings Safe?”
Yes. DuPont non-stick coatings on cookware are safe for everyday use. Confidence in the safety and performance of DuPont non-stick coatings is based on more than 40 years of laboratory testing and use in home and commercial kitchens. Moreover, a stringent certification program ensures that non-stick coatings by DuPont are used only in suitable applications.
 

“Are All Non-stick Cookware Coatings made with Teflon?”
No. Consumers frequently use the term "Teflon" to refer to any non-stick coating. However, Teflon® is a DuPont-owned registered trademark for non-stick coatings and other products.

Other companies make non-stick coatings that are marketed under different brand names. While non-stick coatings may vary somewhat, most are based on the same basic materials – known as fluoropolymers.
 

“How can I be Sure DuPont Non-stick Coatings are Safe?”
Prior to market introduction, DuPont non-stick coatings were subjected to exhaustive studies at the Haskell Laboratory for Health & Environmental Sciences. DuPont provided the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) with full disclosure of materials used in its non-stick coatings, and the FDA found them acceptable for conventional kitchen use. In addition, health regulatory agencies throughout the world have approved the use of DuPont non-stick coatings on cookware and housewares.

Cooks in more than 40 countries around the world have purchased billions of pots and pans with DuPont non-stick coatings. In all this experience, there has been no record of serious or chronic health effects, including cancer and birth defects.
 

“Are Fumes from Overheated Non-stick Coated Cookware Harmful to People?”
All fumes can be irritating or even harmful. Butter, fats, and cooking oils will begin to smoke at 400°F (204°C), producing fumes that can irritate eyes, nose and throat, and possibly cause respiratory distress.

DuPont non-stick coatings will not begin to deteriorate in appearance or performance until the temperature of the cookware reaches about 500° F (260°C). The coating will not show significant decomposition unless temperatures exceed about 600° F (316°C). Only at these extremely high temperatures (600ºF and above) could non-stick coatings emit fumes that could produce a temporary flu-like condition called "polymer fume fever”.
 

“What is Polymer Fume Fever?”
"Polymer fume fever" is a temporary flu-like condition that occurs as a result of exposure to fumes from significantly overheated and decomposed fluoropolymer materials. It occurs primarily in industrial settings, in areas where extreme high heat processes such as welding or sintering might occur.

"Polymer fume fever" requires no special treatment and has no long-term health effects associated with it.
 

“Can I get Polymer Fume Fever?”
Polymer fume fever occurs primarily in industrial settings, in areas where extreme high heat processes such as welding or sintering might occur. In conventional cooking situations, there is no coating decomposition and therefore no potential exposure to polymer fumes. However, if a consumer believes he or she has overheated a non-stick pan, the pan should be removed from the heat source and the area ventilated. Any pan heated to a high enough temperature to result in coating decomposition would likely be so severely damaged it would be unusable thereafter.
 

“Are Fumes from Over-heated Non-stick Cookware Hazardous to Household Pets?”
With the exception of birds, household pets are not adversely affected by fumes from overheated non-stick cookware.
Because they have particularly sensitive respiratory systems, birds can be injured by many kinds of household fumes, including those from aerosol sprays, burning butter or cooking oils, and cleaning solvents.

In addition, with their high respiration rate and low body weight, birds are susceptible to fumes long before they affect people. (You’ve probably heard stories of miners who took canaries into mines with them to detect the presence of dangerous gas because birds would be affected by the gas before the miners would.) The effect of any fumes on a bird depends on the bird’s size and species, and the amount and duration of exposure to the fumes.

Bird owners can take several precautions to protect pet birds from cooking fumes (1) keep birds out of the kitchen; (2) observe good cooking practices and never allow cookware to overheat; and (3) keep the cooking area well ventilated.

Please visit the following sites for more helpful information on non-stick coatings:
http://www2.dupont.com/DuPont_Home/en_US/index.html
http://www.epa.gov/oppt/pfoa/index.htm
www.pfoa-facts.com
http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/healt ... 6/02/23/hscout531173.html

Copyright © MEYER All Rights Reserved